Wood-burning stove catches fire and displaces multiple people Sunday night

On Sunday, March 5th, 2023, at 10:10 pm, the Turlock Fire Department, Modesto Fire Department, Turlock Police Department, Stanislaus Regional Fire Investigations Unit, and American Medical Response were dispatched to a reported structure fire at a residence in the 300 block of S Broadway, Turlock.

Firefighters arrived on scene within minutes to smoke coming from the roof. A fire was located in the attic which was able to be brought under control within about 20 minutes and extinguished about an hour later.

Firefighters remained on scene for an extended period of time after the fire was out, conducting overhaul, investigation, and other post-fire activities. Firefighters were also able to salvage several personal belongings.

The Turlock Irrigation District and Pacific Gas and Electric Company responded to the scene to secure utilities, while the Modesto Fire Department covered the city for the duration of the incident.

No injuries were reported, however, multiple people were displaced. The American Red Cross responded to the scene and provided assistance.

The fire’s cause was determined to be a malfunction of a wood-burning stove’s flue.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s